Monday, March 28, 2011

Geasa - What I've learned

I've picked up a little bit more knowledge in how Geasa works. Not enough to do something about it, that also requires some more energy, but it's still something that's worked itself out.

I think the ideal amount of people to play Geasa with is 4. I've noticed that most, or all of the games where I feel that the plot kept moving towards a central point. When you add more people it's still possible to do it, but you're probably adding on another hour or two to the game. If you're playing with 6 you should probably understand that you might need an extra session or two to complete your story. There's just so much that's going on that even if you want to get it towards any type of conclusion you're looking at probably 8 to 10 hours.

That leads me to the second point, which was kindly driven home by the people I played with at Dreamation. This game requires breaks. Frequent breaks. Being on all the time is kind of intense. Even in the most intense RPG there are moments when you don't need to give your full attention. Geasa doesn't allow that. I suggest that every two rounds you take a break, otherwise you'll start to run down quick. That's just a guideline. You might find that your group varies with their needs for breaks depending on the action and what's happening, but breaks are important.

1 comment:

RabbitCatalyst said...

I agree with you on all points. I found Gaesa very intense (which is why I liked it) and immersive. Breaks are definitely important, but have to be handled well or might just end up destroying flow.

Firestorm Ink's Fan Box