Saturday, April 28, 2012

Game Chef 2012 - Submissions 31-35

Coyote’s Winter by Mael Rimbault


The Good: The relationship between the Coyote's and the humans is something really well done.  It's similar to relationships in Monsters in Other Childish Things, or it reminded me a little of Blowback for some reason.  I like the whole when you need to use your relationships you weaken them, and then you need to build them back up.

The Bad: It's really got nothing interesting beyond that.  The setting is fine, post-apocalyptic is always a fun time but it just didn't drag me into what was going on.  The rules are a pretty straight forward kind of rolling dice for success.  Nothing bad about it, just nothing much about it either.


The Other: As the author mentions, French is his first language and there are moments where you catch them. They make me nostalgic because my French is full of Anglicisms.

Would I Play It? No, that's not really a slight on the game.  More that it didn't really do much that would make me want to play it.

Heist by Theresa Strike


The Good: I like the accumulated failures coming back to haunt you.  That if you end up messing up too much you're going to get caught.  The teammate rules are great, where you get an extra die.  It feels like there's a lot going on here, and it's good.


The Bad: It could have used tighter movement rules.  Making your own bank rules would have been nifty too, maybe a little to Rune like but could have made it more interesting.


The Other: There has been a big time limit motif in the games so far.  For a last chance theme I think it's a great implementation of it. 

Would I Play It? Yes.  Time to get the money.

Agents of C.O.Y.O.T.E. by Mike Burnett

The Good: This is like Chrononauts, except with just one event to deal with and a lot more RP.  It's got reference material, quick play lists.  I like this game a lot, and would take the time to figure out how splitting the time stream works just to play the game.

The Bad: With any time game problems with time itself are going to be prevalent.  I think it does a good job on dealing with that, but I still was kind of scratching my head wondering what to do at times.  However, I think playing it might help with that.

The Other: I love the fact that you get to play yourselves as your future evilselves.  I also didn't know you tore up notecards like a hamburger.  

Would I Play It? I've got my gear, let's go save time.

Coyotesong: a Game of Leaving by Joel P. Shempert



The Good: It's a lovely idea, coming up with a ritual about leaving a place.  I think people like rituals and anything we can come up with to even address leaving is something worth exploring at least.

The Bad: I used ritual intentionally.  It's not much in the way of a game, but very much in the way of a ritual.

The Other: Maybe I'm a coward, but I wouldn't recommend talking to other people with this.  You might want to explain it to them.  Also, I'm not sure why there needs to be an event, per say.  I think a scheduled time like 11:11:11 or 12:12:12 or something of significance would work too.

Would I Play It? No, but them that's just because I'm not into rituals. ~_^


One Last Night (+ chart) by Abram Bussiere

The Good: It's a drinking game, meets bucket list game.  Fun for an evening of light drinking and storytelling.  It's got a very structured, I'm talking now with the stick style of play which is really useful in this type of game.

The Bad: There are a couple of things missing.  First it doesn't tell you how to invoke the end game.  It just says that when it's started (which the play notes tell you is when the last desire is accomplished, but it would be nice to have them in the rules).  Also, it would nice to be able to narrate failure, the game kind of assumes you will succeed at this.

The Other: Another ritual like game.  This is far more a game, with included alcohol, than other rituals but it still has that feel to it.

Would I Play It? Yes, but with the right people and the right drinks.

No comments:

Firestorm Ink's Fan Box